Aetna Sr Director, Specialty Underwriting (Dental/Vision) in Sugar Land, Texas
Req ID: 52017BR
Aetna s Commercial Business Specialty Underwriting Organization is seeking a motivated, adaptable, and strategic player to help lead the Dental/Vision organization and a team of dedicated underwriters. The Senior Director of Underwriting position is a critical member of the Dental/Vision leadership team and will be responsible for leading a large organization of over 50 underwriters, including underwriting directors and managers, who support the pricing for nearly 1.3B of assets and 10M+ members. Aetna s Underwriting provides an open, engaging, creative, and supportive environment encouraging team members to think independently and act passionately.
The candidate for this role will need a strong underwriting background, including but not limited to familiarity with large group underwriting principles, regulatory requirements and restrictions, large claims review, claim analysis and database familiarity. S/He will negotiate and explain large renewals and new business quotes. The Sr Director will be leading team of underwriters and a team to deliver on strategic initiatives. S/He will exhibit strong leadership to meet or exceed financial targets. In addition, collaborate with key leaders within the Dental/Vision organizations including sales, network, product and external strategic partners.
· Determines key factors affecting the financial plan and proactively influences those factors to align with Aetna's goals based on knowledge of the economy, industry trends and market place conditions
· Participates in the development of market pricing strategies to optimize competitiveness and earnings
· Influences and institutes changes in Underwriting policy or premium rates to maximize profitability while managing risk
· Partners with appropriate operational areas to proactively ensure sold products can be implemented and administered based on Aetna's quality standards and guidelines
· Leads the underwriting team to inspire and sustain the competitive advantage
· Builds and guides high performing diverse workforce team
· Manages resources to assure high performance metrics are achieved
· Negotiates with clients in complex financial risk situations
· Ensures regulatory compliance
· Develop talent
· 7-10 years extensive experience with comprehensive insurance industry knowledge, with an underwriting background in medical or specialty business.
· Management experience required with history of managing a large organization (manager of managers)
· Proven ability to negotiate internal and external cross-functional business issues
· Project management skills and ability to lead teams to deliver on strategic initiatives
· Demonstrates the ability to collaborate across the enterprise/or cross functionally at a large scale
· Exhibits the ability to develop talent
Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
Functional - Leadership
Functional – Underwriting
Functional - Products-Dental
Delivering Profit and Performance
Engaging and Developing People
Aetna is about more than just doing a job. This is our opportunity to re-shape healthcare for America and across the globe. We are developing solutions to improve the quality and affordability of healthcare. What we do will benefit generations to come.
We care about each other, our customers and our communities. We are inspired to make a difference, and we are committed to integrity and excellence. Together we will empower people to live healthier lives.
Interested in an Underwriting opportunity at Aetna? Join one of our upcoming virtual office hours with an Underwriting recruiter!
Tuesdays from 12:30 – 1:15 PM EST
Click here to registered: http://bit.ly/2BnzZqp
Aetna is an equal opportunity & affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of personal characteristics or status. We take affirmative action to recruit, select and develop women, people of color, veterans and individuals with disabilities.
We are a company built on excellence. We have a culture that values growth, achievement and diversity and a workplace where your voice can be heard.
Benefit eligibility may vary by position. Click here to review the benefits associated with this position.
Aetna takes our candidate's data privacy seriously. At no time will any Aetna recruiter or employee request any financial or personal information (Social Security Number, Credit card information for direct deposit, etc.) from you via e-mail. Any requests for information will be discussed prior and will be conducted through a secure website provided by the recruiter. Should you be asked for such information, please notify us immediately.
Job Function: Underwriting
Aetna is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veterans status.