Aetna Manager, Medical Underwriting - 55028BR in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Req ID: 55028BR
Be part of our mission to change the health care system and help people live healthier lives our Medical Underwriting team has an opening for a passionate leader, as a Manager, Medical Underwriting. As the manager, you will lead a multi-functional underwriting team in support of stated mission and key performance metrics. Build strong cross-functional collaborative relationships with sales force and other internal constituents to meet plan and market objectives. This position will be in our large group medical underwriting area (51 – 3000).
#Aetna #Underwriting #WeJoinYou
· Develops strong unit through dynamic supervision and sharing of expertise
· Manages workflow within unit and directs changing priorities
· Identifies staffing needs and/or training issues and recommends a course of action
· Leads process improvement initiatives to improve productivity, accuracy, and/or customer service and influences tool development. Takes accountability for achieving required changes
· Provides superior customer service and helps develop service excellence skills for the team
· Mentors and trains/oversee training of underwriting staff and internal customers and external constituents
· Ensures team members have the information to do their jobs
· Understands, applies and explains company services, product standards, underwriting policies, strategic direction and new initiatives relative to unit's responsibilities
· May take lead underwriting role on complex, high visibility accounts or markets
· Grants underwriting exceptions and financial variances within prescribed limit
· Manages and/or participates on assigned projects
· May participate in broker/customer meetings
· Works across Aetna's segments/markets to achieve goals
· Utilizes knowledge of competition and competitive position to evaluate risk and maximize profitability
· Negotiates and explains rate development and application of underwriting policy
· Analyzes problems or issues from different points of view to find the optimal solution
· Helps set case and market strategy
· Ensures that timely actions and deliverables are met by team
· Assists team members in handling difficult sales/renewal situations, e.g., rates, exceptions, conflicts
· Coaches others to maximize performance and is responsible for performance development and review
· Rewards employees for innovation and responsible risk taking
· Builds strong cross-functional relationships with sales force and other internal organizations
· Extensive pricing experience via all types of medical pricing methodologies (manual, experience, blended, alternate, etc.) and funding arrangements.
· Minimum of 7-10 years of experience in medical underwriting with extensive insurance industry knowledge.
· 3 – 5 years of previous management preferred.
· Experience in both New and Renewal business underwriting strongly preferred.
· Experience in anticipating customer needs and requirements as well as facilitating and negotiating using tack and diplomacy.
· Must be able to demonstrate the ability to work cross functionally and strategically across the organization.
· Demonstrating success in communicating effectively internally and externally.
The highest level of education desired for candidates in this position is a Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
Functional - Underwriting/Management: < 25 employees/4-6 Years
Functional - Underwriting/Financial arrangements/7-10 Years
Functional - Underwriting/New business - group medical/7-10 Years
Functional - Underwriting/Renewal - group medical/7-10 Years
Technical - Desktop Tools/TE Microsoft Excel/7-10 Years/End User
Technical - Desktop Tools/Microsoft Word/7-10 Years/End User
Technical - Desktop Tools/Microsoft PowerPoint/7-10 Years/End User
Finance/Creating Profitable Customers/MASTERY
Leadership/Driving Strategic and Organizational Agility/ADVANCED
General Business/Maximizing Work Practices/MASTERY
Leadership/Developing and Executing Strategy/ADVANCED
Service/Providing Solutions to Constituent Needs/MASTERY
Flexible telework/office-based schedule (must be within a commutable distance from the Pittsburg, PA office location).
ADDITIONAL JOB INFORMATION
Interested in an Underwriting opportunity at Aetna? Join one of our upcoming virtual office hours with an Underwriting recruiter!
Tuesdays from 12:30 – 1:15 PM EST
Click here to registered https://aet.na/2yCWHtp
Aetna is about more than just doing a job. This is our opportunity to re-shape healthcare for America and across the globe. We are developing solutions to improve the quality and affordability of healthcare. What we do will benefit generations to come.
We care about each other, our customers and our communities. We are inspired to make a difference, and we are committed to integrity and excellence.
Together we will empower people to live healthier lives.
Aetna is an equal opportunity & affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of personal characteristics or status. We take affirmative action to recruit, select and develop women, people of color, veterans and individuals with disabilities.
We are a company built on excellence. We have a culture that values growth, achievement and diversity and a workplace where your voice can be heard.
Benefit eligibility may vary by position. Click here to review the benefits associated with this position.
Aetna takes our candidate's data privacy seriously. At no time will any Aetna recruiter or employee request any financial or personal information (Social Security Number, Credit card information for direct deposit, etc.) from you via e-mail. Any requests for information will be discussed prior and will be conducted through a secure website provided by the recruiter. Should you be asked for such information, please notify us immediately.
Job Function: Underwriting
Aetna is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veterans status.